We have been blessed with an abundance of sun during Spring and Summer leading to a huge surge in the sale of sun protection creams and cosmetics with sunscreen. However just because Autumn is now at our door there is no excuse to not wear SPF, many dermatologists and skin experts recommend wearing an SPF all year round to protect your skin from the sun, even if it is hiding behind those fluffy grey clouds.
If you are wanting to wear make up and also spf; Dr. Hiba Injibar of Harley Street’s Dermasurge has given our readers her tips on how to apply foundation and protect your skin from the sun.
- If your foundation doesn’t contain sunscreen, apply it all over before applying your foundation. If your foundation contains SPF, don’t necessarily rely on it for the most effective level of protection. Makeup isn’t always evenly applied and it comes off easily.
- You should be using at least SPF 30 and should be using a product with both UVA & UVB protection and don’t forget your ears and neck
- After applying your SPF, wait for a few minutes to allow your suncream to set. Be generous with the application.
- If you’re continuously in the sun, make sure you’re reapplying every three to four hours or so. I know it’s hard but if you have the time, try to take off all of your makeup and reapply because ideally SPF should go directly onto skin. This is, obviously not realistic in every situation, so if you don’t have the time, use a loose powder with SPF to top yourself up. Just make sure that first application is thorough, full and directly onto the skin.
Tried and Tested by Safety in Beauty, Altruist
Review Result: 5/5 *****
- Initiated by Dr Andrew Birnie, a UK skin cancer specialist
- 5 Star Ultra UVA protection
- Altruist is designed for sensitive skin: hypoallergenic and fragrance free
- Suitable for daily use on Face, Body and on children
Altruist Anti-Redness and Pigmentation is a green tinted moisturiser and day cream
which conceals, treats and long-term protects red and sensitive skins through its
unique micro-encapsulated technology and advanced photoprotection, leaving a light
brown even finish on the skin.